Friday, January 19, 2007

Book critics ignore the excesses of Israeli policies

Detroit Free Press

January 19, 2007

Your Jan. 12 article "Carter advisers quit over his book" was tacit accusation that Jimmy Carter's book lacks total credibility. I have read the book and followed the Arab-Israeli conflict for most my life, and I would love to know the "inaccuracies" that opponents of this book purport. I have read several books written by Jewish historians and Jewish rabbis that are much more detailed and more critical of Israeli policy.

The important point to glean from your article is not the fact that many Carter allies are abandoning him, but, rather, that this country still does not want to engage in an honest dialogue.


Paul A. Turner
Beverly Hills

The Carter truths

As I continue to read the outrage at former President Jimmy Carter for his book "Palestine: Peace, not Apartheid," I am dumbfounded by yet another organized attempt in the United States to stifle any criticism of Israel's well-documented human rights violations.

Since Carter has now been labeled with the infamous "Anti-Semitic" label, it is noteworthy to restate a recent quote by Israel Prize laureate Shulamit Aloni: "The U.S. Jewish establishment's onslaught on former President Jimmy Carter is based on him daring to tell the truth which is known to all: Through its army, the government of Israel practices a brutal form of apartheid in the territory it occupies. Its army has turned every Palestinian village and town into a fenced-in, or blocked-in, detention camp."

Maybe it's just me, but I put a helluva lot more stock in Aloni's words than I do with Carter's critics, many of whom have admitted they haven't even read the book.

Sherri Muzher
Mason

No comments: