Friday, April 27, 2007

Afghan Massacre: Criminal Charges Expected Against Marines

UPDATE - April 27, 2007 - Editor's note: I posting at the the secondary blog(also see some new articles below).

See older articles at the overflow blog
April 27, 2007

Criminal Charges Are Expected Against Marines, Official Says

The Marine Corps is expecting criminal charges against at least five marines from a Special Operations unit that killed 10 civilians in eastern Afghanistan last month after a suicide bomb attack on their patrol convoy, a marine official said yesterday.

Marine and civilian lawyers involved in the case have been told to expect charges against five to seven marines involved in the shootings, possibly including one officer, said the marine official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The official added that a formal inquiry by naval investigators is continuing and could result in fewer or no marines being charged. The official declined to provide the names or ranks of those likely to be charged.



No comments: